Thursday, September 25, 2014

Is Your Life Built on Rock or Sand?

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.  But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
Matthew 7:24-27 NIV
Jesus has a lot to say about how I live my life, and the author of the gospel of Matthew has collected much of it into the section we call "The Sermon on the Mount".  In this passage I am challenged concerning my relationship with God as well as with the people I come into contact with every day.  And the concern is not so much on my actions as it is with my attitudes and motives.  Who I am on the inside will be reflected in what I show on the outside.

But what will I do with Jesus teachings?  Will I admire them from a distance, but never really embrace them; will I dismiss them as something that may be appropriate for others, but not for me; or will I take hold of them and try to follow his teachings?

Jesus final challenge in this collection of teachings is to put into practice what he has taught.  If I will do so, they will serve as a solid foundation that I can build my life on.  A foundation that will be secure during the storms of life.  And at the end, after all the storms have blown, my house will still be standing.

But should I choose to ignore his teachings, whether I admire them or not, the results will be dramatically different.  It will be like building my house on sand.  It may be easy to do, but it is a shortcut that will have disastrous results when a storm comes along.

I may think I know what's best for my life.  But it is hard to imagine that I will know better than my creator.  While it may get in the way of self-gratification, obedience is the wisest approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment