Friday, March 21, 2014

This World Is Not My Home, I'm Just Passing Through.

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:18 NIV
There's a lot going on in this world that attracts our attention, some of it good and some of it not so very good.  But what it all has in common is that it is temporary.  None of it will last.  No matter how much I care for my lawn, no matter how diligent I have been to ensure I can live comfortably in retirement, no matter how much I love the wilderness areas and work to protect them; it is all temporary and will come to an end.

Now I don't mean to suggest that we ignore the world around us, or that we not take care of the things of this world entrusted to us.  I do believe is is appropriate that I keep my grass cut, my finances in order, and attempt to leave a habitable planet for my children and grandchildren.  As long as I am in this world, I need to interact appropriately with it.

But there are more important things for me to focus on than the temporary things of this life.  The kingdom that my eyes cannot see, but that none-the-less I am apart of.  It is what I was made for, and I will spend the remainder of eternity as a part of it.  Paul's encouragement to me is to not wait, but rather to make that eternal realm my focus now, rather than get so wrapped up in this world that I miss out on it while here, and maybe for eternity.  Why play with an imitation when the real thing is readily available for me?  Yellow paint is no substitute for real gold.


No comments:

Post a Comment