Thursday, March 27, 2014

Masquerading as Angels of Light

For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ.  And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.  It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15 NIV
I wonder sometimes about some of the preachers, speakers and ministries I hear advertising on the radio.  I can't help but wonder sometimes about their focus; is Christ at the center, or is he just an advertising bullet point.

One that I have been hearing advertised quite a bit recently is an  Easter production, although I don't recall them using the word 'Easter' in any of the ads.  It is described as a production with many different forms of entertainment; dance, martial arts, aerial acrobatics, etc.  And one statement in the ads has really stood out to me as they claim to have "redefined the story of Christ for over a million people".  Now it is possible that that is a good thing, especially if it is for people with a non-Biblical view of Christ.  But it concerns me because it seems more likely that the redefinition is away from the Biblical view, and more toward an entertainment view.  I struggle with packaging Jesus for mass market appeal.

At other times I hear preachers, or should I say ministry leaders, who seem to be advertising to gain a larger following for themselves or 'their' ministry.  By no means am I charging all ministries that advertize on the radio with doing this.  But there does seem to be a few from some of the area megachurches who are guilty of this.

And even that is OK if, when a person comes, they encounter the Biblical Jesus.  But too often the ads seems to tout a more social experience than a real life changing encounter with the risen Lord.  We are social creatures and do need some social interaction as believers.  But that alone will not fix what's wrong with us.  Watering down the gospel of Jesus to become more appealing to a larger audience is something that does not come from God.

Paul warns us about false apostles, those who seem to be followers of Christ, but who are actually serving Satan.  They look good on the outside, But following them leads to destruction.  I will not be so bold as to accuse any of the folks I hear advertising as being false apostles, but some give me serious concern.  I do believe it is something we should reflect seriously on before letting ourselves get involved with any of the myriad of popular and prospering ministries of today.  Be sure that Christ is at the center rather than the ministry founder.  If Christ is not the center, then walk away quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment