Tuesday, February 18, 2014

He Must Become Greater

He must become greater; I must become less.  
John 3:30 NIV
I love this response of John the Baptist to those who are concerned that Jesus is starting to attract more followers at John's expense.  John understood that Jesus should be the center of attention.  While John might have appeared on the scene first, his role was to prepare the people for Jesus coming.  And once Jesus had come, his role was destined to decrease.  John seems to have had his ego well in control here, being content to play an ever decreasing second fiddle to Jesus.

And he also has a lesson to teach any of us who sometimes find ourselves out in front.  I am human enough to admit that I enjoy being complimented for something that I have done.  The encouragement can really serve as a positive reinforcement.  But there is a real danger than I will enjoy the acclaim too much.  John's words are important as a reminder that it's not about me; it's about Him!

As I grow in service, my prayer is that Jesus will more and more come to the front and be exalted in my life.  When people see me, I want them to see Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment