Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Faith Expressed Through Love

The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
Galatians 5:6b NIV
In the letter to the churches of Galatia, Paul deals extensively with those who are struggling with what is required to be saved.  Is it necessary to be circumcised, or to follow any other Jewish ritual.  Must one be baptized, join a church or tithe?  Do I have to do anything besides believe?

Paul's answer to all of that is a resounding "No".  God has done it all, and nothing I can add to what he has done will improve my standing with him.  Paul goes so far as to say that anything I do that is intended to secure my salvation will only be a detriment to it.  What is required on my part is simply to believe, to have faith.

But belief, or faith, needs to be more that merely intellectual acknowledgement.  Many people believe that God exists, that Jesus is God in human form, that Jesus rose from the dead, that life continues past the death of the body.  Included in those who believe is Satan and his followers, for all the good it does them.  Believing that God exists will get you nowhere, if it is only a mental exercise.

What counts is a faith that expresses itself through love.  A faith that changes who I am.  A faith that leads me to go beyond simple acknowledgement and into trust.  Trust that God has a purpose for me, and then seeking to live out that purpose.

My motivation for serving God should not be to win his favor.  Rather it should be out of love for what he has done for me.  I can never be worthy of his love, or adequately reward him for choosing me.  But I can surrender myself to him.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for you blog. Love this post. So very spot on. TRUTH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete