Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 - The Year in Review

Well another year is in the books and it's time to brag about all the wonderful and amazing things that we have done this year.  I would love to tell you all about the month we spent in Africa on a mission trip, the round the world cruise we took this summer, and the houses we helped to build.  Except we didn't do any of that.  Maybe next year!

Instead, the bulk of our year has been quiet and centered around home and church, with an adventure thrown in here and there to keep life exciting.  Home is becoming more and more comfortable and quiet.  And we have enjoyed puttering around the yard when it is warm enough and being crafty inside.  At least I putter and Sue and Mary are crafty.

Sue continues to work as the Admin Assistant for the Olympic Baptist Association.  I think her biggest joy in the job is being able to get the social interaction that is somewhat lacking from her minimally communicative husband.

Ed's part time job flared up a bit through most of the year, requiring about 10 hours a week, but that has died back down to just a couple hours a week now.  Mostly done via email from home, so the commute is not too bad.

We both continue to be actively involved in Kitsap Lake Baptist Church and the Olympic Baptist Association.  There are lots of opportunity to serve in both, and I am especially enjoying the opportunity to lead one of our new small groups.

I have spent quite a bit of time during the warmer part of the year in the back yard, working to create more gardens.  I do enjoy working in the dirt, at least when it is warm and dry, which most of our summer was this year.  This is a multi-year project that may never end, but it is relaxing and I enjoy seeing the gradual transformation.

I have been blogging for a few years now, but have recently made a concerted effort to be more consistent with it, and have launched a new blog specifically to handle the backpacking stuff.  I enjoy the challenge of putting words together in a written form, and the chance to play teacher online.  The lack of interaction is sometimes challenging, but I trust that God is still able to do something with my meager efforts.

Sue spends a lot of her time at home making stuff.  She seems to be nearly always either sewing or coquetting something, mostly quilts.  She and her mother seem to keep Navy Relief and some of local nursing homes well supplied with baby blankets and lap blankets.

Sue and I are both trying to keep active, with Sue hitting the YMCA most mornings, and me out running along the road 4-5 days a week.  I have also run a couple of half marathons during the year.  Not really competitive, but do enjoy the experience.

We celebrated a couple of milestones this year.  Sue and I have manged to stick together for 30 years now.  I am so very thankful that God brought her into my life.  I can't imagine what life would be like without her.

Mary also celebrated her 90th birthday last month.  We had an open house for her and drew quite a crowd.  Mary continues to live with us and has been generally healthy.

Our third big event of the year was a continuance of the Pacific Crest Trail travels of the past few years.  I put in another 500+ miles on the trail this year, mostly in northern California with a piece in Washington.  Most of it was solo, although I did have two different friends join me for pieces of the trail.  Just about half done with the PCT now and hope to finish in another 3 years.  Sue continues to provide support, meeting me at most road crossings and doing her own exploration in between.

Mike continues to live in the area and is working his way into the medical field.  He proposed this year to Jessica and we are looking forward to her joining our family next year, although in many ways she already has.

Rachael is out of the Air Force and in the reserves, living in Boston, has a boyfriend there and is attending school, working on a degree in sign language.  We miss having her closer, but she seems to be settling in on the wrong coast; bummer.

Looking forward to next year and all of the opportunities it will bring.  May your new year be filled with joy, peace & the love of God.  God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment