Monday, July 9, 2012

Was Jesus a Backpacker?

I enjoy going up into the mountains to get away from all the distractions that swirl around me every day.  So you would have to expect that I am going to latch onto what I think may be my new favorite verse in the Bible.
After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone ... Matthew 14:23 NIV
Jesus dismisses all the people (distractions), and heads up into the hills for some quiet time.  And he spends the night there alone.  Sounds to me very much like a solo backpacking trip / retreat.  So good knowing that I will be able to justify a month out on the trail by pointing to Jesus example. 

Just need to be sure that I do walk with God through the mountains and forests.  And that is so much easier to do when there is no internet, no books, no weeds to pull, no crying employees or demanding bosses, no nagging wife (although I wouldn't really know what that is).  Just a man and his thoughts moving down the trail.

Looking forward to August and the time to be away and get reconnected with my creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment