Friday, July 27, 2012

The Heavens Declare the Glory of God

The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
    no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world. 

                                         Psalm 19:1-4 NIV
As I prepare for an extended trip out into the creation, this passage seems most appropriate.  For me there is no better place to encounter my creator than out in his creation.  A creation that proclaims his glory in everything I see.  The sun, moon and stars, the mountains and valleys, the rivers and streams, the trees and the meadows, the flowers, the animals, and even the bugs.  I travel through it all in amazement.

While I am thankful for science and its unveiling of how the creation works, I am even more thankful for the creator who made it in the first place.  And that in a creation as vast as this universe, he knows me and cares for me.  I feel sorry for those who are unable, or unwilling, to see beyond the creation itself; who have to settle for worship of that creation instead of the one who made it all.

Father, Lord, thank you for the opportunity to spend the next month alone with you in your creation, free from the distractions and concerns of everyday life.  As I walk the trail through your garden, help me to walk with you, to know your presence every step of the way and to rejoice in it.  Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me (Psalm 51:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment