Friday, June 15, 2012

So Let Me Get This Straight

"If you cross the North Korean border illegally, you get 12 yrs. hard labor. If you cross the Afghanistan border illegally, you get shot. Two Americans just got eight years for crossing the Iranian border. If you cross the U. S. border illegally you get a job, a drivers license, food stamps, a place to live, health care, housing & child benefits, education, & a tax free business for 7 yrs ...No wonder we are a country in debt. Re-post if you agree."
I have been seeing this posted on Facebook, by multiple friends, for several months now.  My assumption is that they agree with the statement, but I hope that is only because they have not really read it.  I personally find it to be rather troubling.

There are four countries compared in this diatribe: North Korea, Afghanistan, Iran and the US. It appears like North Korea, Afghanistan and Iran are being compared against the US; and that the North Korean, Afghan and Iranian models of handling illegal immigration are preferred to that of the US.  Do they really want us to authorize our police to shoot anyone who cannot prove US citizenship?  I hope not!

At question here is illegal entry into these countries, although the comparison is actually deceitful.  Yes, if you illegally cross into North Korea, Afghanistan or Iran, and get caught, you are in deep doo-doo.  But is it true that if you illegally cross into the US, and get caught, that you are rewarded with a job,food stamps, housing, health care, etc?  No.  Actually you would be jailed and ultimately deported.  This is really a kind of bait and switch argument.

But what happens is you enter these countries illegally and don't get caught?  Why, you get to live like any other citizen of that country, regardless the country you have entered.  In North Korea, Afghanistan or Iran that means poverty, poor health care, oppression, little education and little in the way of benefits.  Anyone want to go to one of these places?  In the US, it means that you are given the opportunity to rise up out of poverty, have adequate health care, are generally free of oppression, have the opportunity for an education and a wide range of benefits.

The US has many problems, and if I could get appointed emperor I'm sure I could resolve many of them (sounds like another blog post).  But in spite of all the problems we face, including a high debt level (which has little if anything to do with illegal immigration), there are few places in the world I would rather live.  And I, for one, am quite thankful that illegal immigrants are able to get a job, a driver's license, food stamps, a place to live, health care, etc.   Because that means that I, along with the rest of my fellow citizens, are able to do so as well.

And just in case you haven't guessed, I do not agree with the sediment expressed at the top and will not be re-posting the statement.

2 comments:

  1. I would not re-post either. I do not agree. I also am thankful for what our country does. I am proud that we have people who care about humanity and want to try to help. Are we always right in our approach to help - probably not, but at least we try. So many of us are so privileged, and we should be so grateful that we have been lucky enough to be so. We should also realize it is incumbent upon us to try to help those who have not been as lucky. It does not help our spiritual health to belittle or hate the less fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “Accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it. I’m your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete