Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Homosexuals: Lock Them Up and Throw Away the Key?

I read an article yesterday that I found to be very disturbing.  Seems like Charles Worley, pastor of the Providence Road Baptist Church near Maiden N.C. decided to spice up his Mother's Day sermon by advocating that all homosexuals should be rounded up and put into a big fenced enclosure until they had all died.  Although he was generous enough to permit helicopters to fly over and drop them in some food supplies.
“I figured a way out, a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers but I couldn’t get it pass the Congress – build a great big large fence, 50 or a hundred mile long. Put all the lesbians in there, fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals. And have that fence electrified so they can’t get out.

And you know what? In a few years they will die out. You know why? They can’t reproduce. If a man ever has a young'un, praise God he will be the first.”
Now to be clear, I am not an advocate of homosexuality, and personally find it disturbing.  And there are some crimes that I believe deserve death.  But I do not believe that homosexuality is either a crime, or deserving of death.  In fact, while I disagree with the lifestyle, I do believe that those who practice it should enjoy the same protection and personal respect as any other law abiding citizen of our country.  To advocate that they should be jailed or killed for it is outrageous.

Yes, a case against homosexuality as a lifestyle could be made from the Bible.  But it also speaks against greed just as strongly.  Interesting that those who speak out so strongly against homosexuality are silent on the topic of greed.  I wonder why?

As a Christian I look to Jesus to determine how I should respond or act in any given situation or personal encounter.  And I find it interesting to look and see how Jesus would respond to Charles Worley.  In Matthew 9:9-12, Jesus calls the hated and despised tax collector Matthew to be a disciple and then goes to a party that Matthew throws at his house.  And who came to the party?  Other tax collectors and 'sinners'.  And Jesus, to the annoyance of the religious Pharisees like Charles Worley, partied with them.  And he rebuked the Pharisees for their unwillingness to reach those who most needed God's love.

I suspect that many Christians today would be appalled to find that Jesus, rather than condemning homosexuals, would actually hang out some with them and dare to share a meal with them.  And if he would act lovingly toward them, who am I to tell Jesus he was wrong, and condemn them?  Maybe I should try and follow his example.

No comments:

Post a Comment