Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Blessing of Fatherhood

I put my daughter on a plane today after an all too short visit.  That is an emotionally difficult thing to do, and doesn't seem to get easier because of repetition.  It seems just like yesterday that I was holding each of my new born children in the delivery room, a pair of events whose emotional impact has only been rivaled on the day I married their mother.  There have been lots of memories generated in the past 30 years in my life, but it seems like most of the significant ones have involved either my wife or children.

I look back at the years of watching my children grow with wonder and amazement.  Watching them transform from helpless infants to full grown adults has truly been something to see and experience.  While there are things I might wish to do differently, I am so grateful for the experience of being a father and for the privilege of being a part of their lives, in the past, the present, and into the future.

I am proud of them both that they have taken such responsibility for their lives, working hard and becoming productive members of society.  Both of them have invested a part of their lives in military service and have fought in our nations wars.  While the future ahead of them is uncertain, I am confident that they will be able to handle whatever comes their way.

My children no longer live at home, and function pretty much independently of their mother and I.  But they continue to be on our hearts and thoughts and the frequent subject of our prayers.  The song below expresses my heart's desire for them better than any other I have ever heard.

 

 If you have children at home, cherish the time you have with them and take seriously your responsibility to help them to blossom.  If your children are grown and gone, continue to be there for them and uplift them before the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment