Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks

As Thanksgiving rolls around again I find it appropriate to take the time to remember what I have to be thankful for.  Included in this list is (are) ...
  • a God who created this universe and who has given me an opportunity to be a part of his kingdom, both now and through eternity.  I am thankful to God that I can know him in a personal way.  And I am thankful that he has a purpose even for one as insignificant as I.
  • the opportunity to serve God both within a local church and the Olympic Baptist Association.  Being able to be more actively involved in the OBA has been a joy to me over the past 3+ years and I look forward to what lies ahead.
  • a wife that loves me far more than I deserve.  She is a jewel beyond price and makes my life so much better than it would ever be without her.  Everything she touches is better for her having been there.
  • a son and daughter that have turned out 'not half bad'.  I am thankful for who they are and what they have taught me about love and responsibility.  I am thankful for their willingness to serve their country in the military, even if it was the Army and Air Force rather than the Navy.
  • my parents who, although long gone, still remain a shining beacon and model for me to follow.  My dad could seemingly do anything and was a leader of men.  And my mom loved us all passionately and would give all for her family.  I have learned much from their life and from their death.
  • friends that I can share my life with.  I am not a particularly social creature, and enjoy spending time alone.  But it is also good to have friends to share with; especially a few close ones that I can share my heart with.
  • a job that pays well, takes little time, and can be done in my pajamas.  Being downsized from my previous job has really worked out well for me.  I am comfortably retired, so the extra I make on the job now provides for extras and for ministry opportunities.
  • a home that is comfortable, paid for and is in fairly good condition.  I really like my home.  It's nothing fancy but it is a place I enjoy spending time.  I enjoy puttering around the house and the big yard.  And it hold lots of memories, 24 years worth.
  • a country that, in spite of many problems, remains a land of opportunity and freedom.  There are few places in the world I would rather live that in my corner of the US.
  • the opportunity and health to be able to run marathons and go on long hikes.  I enjoy the chance to be out and enjoy the creation.  And who would have ever guessed that a desk jockey like myself would be able to start running in his mid 50's and end up running marathons.
  • a successful encounter with Prostate Cancer.  I learned a lot about myself during this experience; having never before had any real health issues.  And I am thankful that the cancer is gone.  I am also thankful for the people who participated in its removal and my recovery.
  • the opportunity to share my thoughts and opinions with the handful of people who read my blog.  I have enjoyed putting thoughts into words and posting them for all the world to read, even if most of the world in not interested.
  • and I am just thankful.

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for you and your family. I have been following your blog for a while. I've really enjoyed reading your thoughts and opinions and have decided to become and Ed J follower. I,too, fondly remember your parents who were a big part of my life for many years and I am thankful that they were also my families' mentors

    ReplyDelete