Sunday, October 16, 2011

Shoes, Shoes and more Shoes

How many pairs of shoes do you have in your closet?  Seems like just a few years ago I would have answered that question with no more than 5 or 6.  After all, how many pairs of shoes does a guy need, especially one with no fashion sense.  A pair of 'nice' shoes for special occasions, a comfortable pair of shoes for everyday use, an old ratty pair for yard work and a pair of boots for hiking.

But somewhere along the way I must have come up with a fertile pair because they seem to be rapidly proliferating.  The shoes in my collection could also be a case study in evolution, branching out into several new niches and species, including running and biking shoes as well as Five Fingers.



Of course part of the problem with my shoes is that I seldom throw anything away, so I end up collecting shoes that are worn out or just not something I want to wear this decade but may at some time in the future.  I have done a search through the house collecting shoes from all of their hiding places, and surprisingly, at least to me,  there were a lot more of them than I would have guessed before starting this research project.


After my search I found that I have:

  • 1 pair of rubber boots.  Every home owner has to have a pair of rubber boots for dealing with wet disasters around the house and weed whacking tall wet grass.
  • 4 pair of hiking boots.  Two pair are wore out, but, even though it is likely I will never put them back on my feet again, I still hold on to them, loyalty I guess.  The other two are in good shape but will also likely never be warn again because I now wear running shoes on the trail.  I do have them though just in case I go hiking with someone who does not have boots and wears a size 13.
  • 2 pairs of flip flops.  One for the pool and the other for a backup, I guess.
  • 1 pair of biking shoes.  Gotta have bike shoes to ride a bike, even if only in the basement.
  • 1 pair of booties for a wet suit.  Sometimes the lake is pretty cold and blue toes are not pretty.
  • 2 pairs of sandals.  Originally bought for camp shoes when hiking but no longer used for that.  One worn out and one good, but neither used all that much any more.  One of them apparently has become so distraught over this neglect that they have hidden themselves so deeply that I was unable to find them for the group shot above.
  • 2 pair of house slippers. Who knows why.
  • 9 pair of running shoes.  These are the shoes I really need to keep separated at night.  It is unbelievable how fast they multiple.  Five years ago I had one pair.  And now I don't even use them for running.
  • 2 pair of five fingers.  One to run in, meaning I have 9 pairs of running shoes that I don't run in, and one to wear around and sometimes hike in.
  • 5 pair of dress shoes.  I wear dress shoes about 2-3 times a year.  The rest of the time I generally wear worn out running shoes.  Four of these pairs of shoes could disappear and I would likely not notice, but they help keep the pair I do wear company during the long lonely stretches in the closet.
  • 1 pair of crocks.  Originally bought as camp shoes when hiking but now mostly used to decorate the back deck and occasionally slip on to walk on wet grass.
That makes a total of 30 pair of shoes.  That's just over one pair of shoes for every two years of my life.  Not too bad when you look at it like that.  

The big downside to this research into my shoes is that my wife has taken offense at me having more shoes than she does.  I can foresee needing to find a new place to keep her shoes in the near future.  I am pretty sure though that at least my daughter still has me beat :)

2 comments:

  1. Give the old ones to the local homeless shelter. I play a lot of tennis, and often the shoe wears off (2-3 months), but still has a sole or a soul. The homeless gladly accept them, because for cold winters they are handy, even if they cannot play tennis in them.

    You do not need that many, OldMan, you'll still lose races.

    Weddings, formal wear: one pair
    Church, business (even though you are retired): one pair
    Running: one pair
    Casual: one pair.

    You need no more than 4 - 5 pairs

    -- Simpleton

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt I have way too many shoes, just didn't realize how bad it was. I am sorting through them how and expect to give away half of them, keeping only what I actually use.

    ReplyDelete