Monday, September 19, 2011

Retired

Today is kind of a bittersweet day.   After 31 plus years at Keyport I will not be getting up and going to work any more.  I had actually retired from government service a bit more than 3 years ago and returned to the same place to experience the life of a contractor.  I enjoyed the chance to be a computer programmer again, but last week I experienced the big downside of being a contractor.  The budget was tight and the workforce needed to be trimmed, resulting in 3 of us being laid off, effective today for me.  Walking away from the job had been in the back of my mind for some time, but I had not yet reached the point of pulling the trigger.  Now that it has been done for me I can  go ahead and begin to enjoy 'retired life'.

So what does the future hold for me?  That's a good question and one that I do not have a complete answer for.  For sure it will open up more time to hike and enjoy the creation.  I expect to spend considerable amounts of time on the PCT next year.  I had already been planning on finishing out the 300 miles of Oregon.  Now I may push on into California for a bit.



It will also provide ample time to work on my house and yard.  There are many tasks there that have languished due to time constraints.  After work and time in the mountains, there just wasn't enough time left to landscape my yard the way I would like.  I am looking forward to seeing what will happen to the yard in the next year.

I am still an employee of AMSEC for the time being.  I am told that they will have some part time work for me in the future although I don't know what the level of effort will be for it.  Getting in a few hours a week wouldn't be too bad, depending on what the task is.

Sue and I have talked in the past about getting involved in some short term missions work, in particular disaster relief efforts.  I expect that will become a larger part of my life going forward.  It will be good to be in a position to be able to go at the drop of a hat without having to worry about leaving a job behind.

I look back on the past 31 years with fondness and without regret.  Now I look forward to the next 20-30 years with anticipation and look forward to spending the time with my wife Sue and with our Lord.  Our health is good and we are financially fairly secure.  It is a good place to be.

Onward and Upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment